Archive for the ‘DOG PARK’ Category
We found a special couple to open their hearts and give another dog a home! Yay! How good does this feel? You know what I mean if you have ever found an animal in need. You feel all that tension and anxiety, and ask “why did I get involved with this?”. Then you stick with it, you get support and the magic starts to unfold, ending in a blessed act of kindness! Another Happy Animal who is safe.
Your hope is raised and you are happy you got involved. You kick up your heels and feel like you contributed.
The Internet is amazing, so powerful and reaches many miles and makes the limits much wider. I often think about all the dogs, cats, pets that used to rely on the local classified ads in newspapers. If you were lucky enough a person telephoned. “in the old days”….
I love doing this work for the animals- It takes time and tenacity.
Want to share this-My regular income is generated with my massage practice and has been since 1984. In 2010, I created www.mypetfirst.com to educate, network and build community for the animals. It helps to bring income & keep my heart projects alive. Please consider stopping by and looking at the Pet food I represent, or click google ads below, or buy from my affiliates, and/or order stuff through my link at Amazon (for anything you buy). We all will benefit!
The pet food, supplements & treats I represent at Life’s Abundance is a human grade pet food that gets delivered right to your doorstep…on a schedule that you control. The Holistic Vet that formulates it, Dr. Jane, donates, quarterly, to animal rescue groups. The benefits keep on coming!
Watch these short informative videos on the quality of our Pet food at Life’s Abundance. we explain why it’s premium pet food. I would love it if you placed and order. It helps to generate some income for all the time and energy I (unconditionally) give everyday.
Please go to my site and check it out:
Thank you! Barbara Tapella
This is Barbara and Moki. She found Barbara & was adopted when she was 7 years old and lived a blessed life until she was 16.
What Every Dog Owner Needs to Know About Bee Stings
Yesterday, I took my dogs, Andy and Kona on a hike in Newport bay. We went off trail and suddenly I saw a few bees flying around. Maybe Kona knocked them as she ran down the path? I had Andy on leash and he kept pawing his nose as he backed up toward me. I reached down and saw a bee embedded in his fur near his nose. Poor little guy. I quickly pulled out a dog poop bag (plastic) and grabbed the bee and flung it a few feet to my right. Then, I reached down to check Andy’s fur as I saw another black spot on his back, yes, another bee embedded! At the same moment- BAM! something flew on my forehead…Yikes…I swished it away like you would move a fly from your face. It didn’t move; I freaked. I got the plastic bag and pulled it off my forehead…I was stung! OUCH! Immediately painful, I pulled out a baggie from my back pack. In it were some Lysol wipes, “just in case I needed them”. I ran back to the main trail and stuck those wipes up to my forehead. (Andy seemed fine) It felt good to apply – maybe the cooling and antibacterial helped it not swell too much?
Found this article about bee stings, I want to share the knowledge.
“Treating bee stings in dogs is not much different than treating humans who have been stung. The first priority is to to assess the dog for signs of allergic reaction. Dogs can be as allergic to bee stings as people are, resulting in a life threatening situation. Here’s what you need to know about treating bee stings in dogs. Dogs explore things with their mouths. They also defend themselves and hunt with their mouths. My own little dog will bite a fly (or a bee) out of mid air if it comes too close. This means that while humans often suffer bee stings on their feet and hands, dogs will typically suffer bee stings on their face, in their mouth and occasionally on the foot.
The behavior of a stung dog can be perplexing. They might bark in alarm or rub their face with their paws or on the ground. Assume a possible bee sting if they are suddenly behaving oddly after being in an area where they might have gotten stung.
Assessing The Situation : Is It An Emergency?
Your dog could be suffering an allergic reaction to the bee sting. Symptoms of allergy are difficulty swallowing, difficulty breathing, asthma-like symptoms,swelling beyond the area of the bee sting, losing consciousness, or excessive barking followed by fainting. Sometimes bee sting allergy in dogs can seem like seizures.
If your dog is showing any of these symptoms, seek immediate medical treatment. Treating bee stings in dogs at home will not be sufficient in the event of an allergy - it is a medical emergency.
Treating bee stings in dogs who are having an allergic reaction includes epinephrine, steroids, and/or antihistamines. If you think your dog is having an allergic reaction, phone the vet -
Treating Bee Stings In Dogs: Non Emergencies
If you think your dog has been stung but he is not suffering from symptoms of an allergic reaction, you can treat the injury at home. If you can find the stinger, remove it without compressing the venom sac attached. Stingers can usually be removed by scraping the area gently with a fingernail or credit card. If the injury site is inside the mouth, observe the dog for symptoms of allergy for a few hours. The swelling from even a mild allergic reaction can restrict the airway.
If there are no complications, treating bee stings in dogs is the same as treating stings in humans. Ice can reduce pain, itching, and swelling. Baking soda paste can be applied to the sting site to counteract the venom’s acid.
Toxic Deadly Mulch
The following article is from:
Cocoa mulch is toxic to dogs
Pet owners beware: This warning is real
It’s mulching season, and this landscaping essential just can’t catch a break.
Is it true? The fact that fragrant cocoa mulch can kill dogs that eat it? There is truth to the claim, according to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA). Some dogs are attracted by the mulch’s chocolate aroma, and according to a warning from the ASPCA in 2003, “Eaten by a 50-pound dog, about 2 ounces of cocoa bean mulch may cause gastrointestinal upset; about 4.5 ounces, increased heart rate; about 5.3 ounces, seizures; and over 9 ounces, death.”
Cocoa mulch is made from crushed cacao shells, which contain caffeine and theobromine, two compounds to which dogs are particularly sensitive. (These substances are also present in everyday comestibles like baker’s chocolate, chocolate bars and candies, colas, and tea.) Depending on the size of the dog and the amount of cocoa mulch it ingests, symptoms can range from stomach upset to cardiac arrest. Dogs metabolize the compounds slowly, so symptoms may take hours or even days to manifest themselves. The ASPCA’s advice: Avoid using cocoa mulch anywhere unsupervised dogs roam.
Other natural alternatives to cocoa mulch, like cedar chips and pine straw, are typically less toxic but still may contain resins and oils that trigger gastrointestinal disorders in pets that ingest them. And all mulches, including those made from recycled plastics (see our report, available to subscribers), pose a choking hazard, especially in pooches with less-than-discriminating palates.
If you suspect your dog has eaten cocoa mulch or any other toxic substance, immediately contact your veterinarian or the ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435. The center, open 24/7 every day of the year, charges $55 per consultation.
Allergies are here in the environment that may be getting to your pet. Buy our Healthy treats for Dogs and Cats!
Babies who are in close contact with dogs or cats during their first twelve months of life were found to enjoy better health and less likely to suffer from respiratory infections
The team had set out to determine what effect contact with dogs and cats might have on respiratory symptoms among children during their first year of life.
They followed 397 children from pregnancy up to the age of 12 months, and monitored how much contact they had during this period with dogs and/or cats. The babies’ parents were given a questionnaire which asked about their child’s contact with pets. All the infants were born in middle or eastern Finland between September 2002 and May 2005.
The protective effect of having a dog around
Babies who live with a dog in the house tend to have fewer infections
They found that despite respiratory infections and infectious symptoms being common during a human’s first year of life, children who had contacts with dogs early in life had fewer symptoms of respiratory infections, suffered less often from respiratory diseases, and required shorter courses of antibiotics when ill, compared to other children of the same age with no exposure to dogs.
The frequency of ear infections was considerably lower among those with early regular contact with dogs, the authors added.
The protective effect on infants from having a pet cat was also detected, but it was not as strong as with dogs.
The investigators compared children with a dog which spent its time indoors temporarily or often, with those who had just a pet cat, and children with no pets.
They found that those with a pet dog in the house had the lowest risk of infections generally, as well as respiratory tract infections. Those with no pets in the house had the highest rates of infections.
Weekly and yearly contact with dogs were found to be closely linked to overall susceptibility to illness – the more contact there was, the lower the morbidity.
The scientists believe that early contact with animals impacts on the maturation of the immune system in infants, resulting in shorter-lasting infections and better resistance to respiratory infections.
In an Abstract in the journal, the authors wrote: